Valerie is a founding member of Breathing Fire – a Black Women’s Playback Theatre Company – since 2005.
She is trained in playback theatre forms through the International Playback Theatre Network and gained additional experience through developmental opportunities including the International Playback gathering in Montreal, Canada (2015). She has also performed with other playback companies – from Bristol (Bristol Playback and Rise & Fall), Brighton (Random Acts), Truro (Mirror Mirror), Wales (Golden Thread) and Hissing Black Cat (Washington USA).
Valerie studied actor training at the University of Bristol. She also trained in ‘Theatre of the Oppressed’ and has delivered forum theatre workshops to adults and young people.
She has performed in prisons and schools, and for community groups including Black Elders (Bristol & Bath), Women’s Refugees, Carers, Addiction & Recovery and Single Parent groups.
- “More! More! More! Fantastic”
- “Exceptional show and performance. Huge thanks and congratulations to all the amazing women involved. Thanks to sponsors too. Deserves to be seen by many."
- “Great variety of Pathos and humour. Such a joy to watch”
- “Excellent, lots of diverse emotions. Real. You should go on tour. Consider taking to schools. Thanks”
- “10, This was fantastic; capturing the complexities of identity, the good and the bad. Stunning.”
- “Wonderful. Really nourishing/enriching. Fabulous celebration.”
- "Very intimate, informative, personal & thought-provoking."